Window and door installers are responsible for removing old windows, doors and frames of homes and buildings and replace them with new ones. These individuals work on new buildings and fix issues from previous installations that were done incorrectly or are damaged.
As a window and door installer, you will be required to perform various duties like removing old windows, using power tools, taking accurate measurements, fixing units, sealing fittings, transporting supplies, and keeping the job site clean.
Installing doors and windows is a physically demanding job that might require heavy lifting and climbing. Therefore, an individual working in this capacity should have skills like dexterity, physical fitness, stamina along with attention to safety, the ability to work at heights, teamwork, customer-oriented, and deep knowledge of the tools and equipment used in this work, and ways to maintain them.
Typically, a high school diploma or a GED equivalent is required to work in capacity of a window and door installer. However, some experience in this regard, or an apprenticeship role is a bonus and it will help you get the job.
Window and Door Installer Job Description
• Confer with clients to determine their requirements regarding installations and provide cost estimates.
• Inspect the doorways frames and windows for installation purposes.
• Plan the installation process after inspecting the site.
• Measure the area and then gather all the equipment required for the installation.
• Follow blueprints to meet the needs of clients.
• Use various hand and power tools to perform installations.
• Measure, cut, and shape wood, plastic, and other materials.
• Take accurate measurements using levels rulers and other measurement tools.
• Cut the doors to fit doorways in homes and businesses.
• Remove old frames as needed and install new ones.
• Hang new doors and windows even on settled areas with uneven spaces using appropriate tools.
• Install associated hardware including locks keys and knobs.
• Make sure that all the installation work is carried by protecting the customer’s belonging at the job site.
• Maintain the installations by conducting various tests and resolving the problems.
• Prepare reports of the installation and the repair work done on the site.
• Handle any problems on the site and resolve customer complaints.
• Repair and replace old doors and windows as instructed by the client.
• Make sure that installation projects are completed on time.