Voice acting is the art of performing voice-overs or providing voices to represent a character or to provide information to an audience or user. Examples include animated, off-stage, off-screen or non-visible characters in various works, etc.
Performers are called voice actors or actresses, voice artists or voice talent. Their roles may also involve singing, although a second voice actor is sometimes cast as the character’s singing voice. They do most of their work in recording studios and usually work independently. Voice artists are also used to record the individual sample fragments played back by a computer in an automated announcement.
Their duties also include exercising in order to prevent vocal cords damage. Clients select resumes emphasizing excellent speaking abilities, a clear voice, the ability to do various tones and accents, confidence, attention to details, and the willingness to work irregular hours. There is no formal education requirement for this career, and some example resumes mention courses in voice acting.
Some sample skills that should be highlighted in a resume for voice actors are listed below:
Voice Actor Skills Sample
• Capable of adopting the character’s personality.
• Exceptionally talented at expressing emotions through voice notes.
• Proficient in setting the tone for commercials, and ad films.
• Ability to enunciate and speak clearly.
• Able to change voices, dialects, and expressions.
• A fast learner with an ability to memorize all lines and cues in a timely manner.
• A responsible and punctual individual.
• Ability to take a project fro, conception to completion.
• Calm personality, and seasoned in conflict resolution.
• Energetic and friendly personality.
• Strong organizational expertise.
• Experienced in reading scripts and practicing voice-over sessions with the director.
• Capable of following given instructions about voice quality, tone, and speed.
• Proficient at determining conversational or narrative tones, depending on the project.
• Able to skillfully control the voice.
• Ability to read eloquently from a script.
• Flexible with last-minute adjustments
• A flexible schedule with the ability to travel to meet clients’ needs.