Cashiers work at retail establishments and their main responsibility is to scan items, collect payments, operate cash registers, and issue receipts. Their responsibilities further include assisting customers by explaining items or answering questions, processing exchanges or refunds, and counting the contents of the cash register drawers at the end of the shift.
An ideal candidate for a cashier position should have skills like excellent communication and interpersonal skills, customer service orientation, strong time-management skills, good math skills, and basic computer knowledge and ability to work with electronic equipment, like a cash register and POS, organization. Furthermore, he should be able to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment.
Generally, to work in the capacity of the cashier, a high school diploma or its equivalent is required. Some experience in the field or a related area is a plus and will help you in securing the job.
Sample Resume for Cashier Job
1191 Sample Road
Atlanta, Georgia 12345
A hard-working and energetic cashier with 4 years’ experience in cash handling and providing excellent customer service. Demonstrated expertise in managing cash registers. Practical knowledge of credit card processing and warranty sales management. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
POS Systems | Inventory Management
Cash Register Transactions | Computer Skills
Math Skills | Accuracy
Communication Skills | Customer Service Skills
Flexibility | Multi-tasking
Attention to Detail | Conflict Resolution
ABC STORE, Atlanta, Georgia
• Greet guests as they arrive at the store.
• Scan the items and collect payment.
• Generate receipt and return the change.
• Wrap purchases carefully to ensure safe transport.
• Process return and exchange of items.
• Handle customer inquiries and complaints.
• Count money in cash drawers at the start and end of every shift.
• Keep and maintain records of all transactions.
XYZ STORE, Atlanta, Georgia
• Greeted customers upon their arrival.
• Answered customer questions and resolved their issues.
• Snaced goods collected payment and generated receipts.
• Operated electronic devices, including scale, scanner, and cash register.
• Sorted and counted currency and coins.
• Applied discounts and coupons.
High School Diploma
ABC High School, Atlanta, Georgia – 2010
• MS Word
• Data entry skills
• Numeracy skills
• Cash management