Secretaries are employed at different workplaces where they are responsible for assisting executives in completing administrative and clerical tasks.
General duties of a secretary include greeting guests, answering phone calls, doing paperwork, handling correspondence, writing reports, preparing invoices, and maintaining and updating records.
A candidate for this position should possess strong organizational expertise and customer service skills along with excellent inventory management and record-keeping skills.
Sample Skills for Secretary Position
- Well-versed at maintaining executives’ calendars and scheduling meetings and appointments.
- Competent at preparing reports, invoices, proposals, and marketing letters.
- Proficient at operating office equipment such as printers, scanners, fax machines, and copiers.
- Skilled at answering phone calls, taking messages, and responding to inquiries.
- Talented at making travel arrangements and handling bookings.
- Outstanding word processing and correspondence management skills.
- Able to prioritize workload and carry out multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Sound knowledge of various content management systems and capable of updating and maintaining internal databases.
- Strong IT skills and computer competency.
- Good inventory management and record-keeping expertise.
- A professional and courteous individual with good telephone etiquette.
- Excellent time-management and organization skills.
- Exception written and verbal communication skills.