Secretaries are employed at different workplaces where they are responsible for assisting executives in completing administrative and clerical tasks.
General duties of a secretary include greeting guests, answering phone calls, doing paperwork, handling correspondence, writing reports, preparing invoices, and maintaining and updating records.
A candidate for this position should possess strong organizational expertise and customer service skills along with excellent inventory management and record-keeping skills.
Sample Duties of Secretary
- Maintain senior officials’ calendars and schedule meetings and appointments.
- Prepare and organize reports and other materials required for meetings.
- Maintain budgets and prepare expense reports.
- Prepare invoices, proposals, and marketing letters.
- Maintain records in the management database system, including email.
- Maintain inventory and order supplies as and when required.
- Make travel arrangements and handle room bookings.
- Answer phone calls, respond to inquiries, and take messages.
- Write memos, letters, and emails and perform administrative duties such as filing and photocopying.
- Assist in planning events and make all arrangements including venue, refreshments, and promotional activities.
- Act as a receptionist when needed.