A sales associate is a person who works at a store and interacts with the customers in such a way that increases the store’s sales. Sales Associates are responsible for walking customers through the entire buying process and ensuring the customer leaves satisfied. They provide information regarding products, answer questions and make recommendations. Duties of a sales associate further include detecting potential clients, demonstrating product features, making offers, negotiating, closing sales, and offering after-sales support.
Complaint handling is a critical part of this position. Sales associates are also responsible for keeping the store neat and tidy; they process returns, re-shelve items, and perform light cleaning.
As a sales associate, you will need to speak to customers about different products, and answer their queries. Therefore, you must possess exceptional communication skills as well as good customer service skills. Presentation skills, self-motivation, pro-activity, teamwork, and results orientation are some of the qualifications that a sales associate should have.
Usually, a high school diploma or a GED equivalent is sufficient to work as a sales associate.
Given below is a list of duties of a sales associate. Take a look!
Sales Associate Job Description
• Greet customers upon entrance.
• Assess customer needs; answer customer questions and concerns.
• Help customers find products that fit their needs and desires.
• Direct and escort customers to different isles, counters and racks, recommending items.
• Guide the customers about the product by providing enough information and recommendations.
• Explain product qualities and characteristics to the customer.
• Demonstrate how a product functions to customers.
• Lead customers through the payment procedure..
• Keep the customers updated by means of constant notifying regarding the customer preferred sales, and future products of potential interest
• Keep store properly stocked with all demanded products.
• Make sure merchandise is in-stock and displayed on shelves in a presentable manner.
• Use point of sale (POS) system to conduct purchase transactions.
• Keep records of all sales for inventory and stock purposes.
• Cross-selling products to increase purchase amounts.
• Build relationships with customers, especially regular customers
• Interact with co-workers in a positive light and promotes overall sales via teamwork
• Explain current promotions to customers, as well as return policies and other company procedures.
• Answer all customer questions, complaints and concerns in an efficient and friendly manner