Firefighters are emergency response professionals who protect others in dangerous situations and respond to fires, accidents, and other incidents where there are risks to life and property.
General duties of firefighters include responding to emergency calls regarding fire and vehicle accidents; preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires; performing search and rescue of victims during fire drills and simulations; and cleaning and maintaining firefighting equipment.
Skills required for a firefighter position include knowledge of first aid/CPR methods, working knowledge of firefighting equipment along with good physical fitness, confidence, resilience, and an ability to work well under pressure.
A candidate for the position of firefighter must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma listed on his or her curriculum vitae.
Sample Skills for Firefighter
• Skilled in responding to emergency calls and attending incidents.
• Able to prevent, combat and extinguish fires.
• Proficient in protecting others in dangerous situations such as fires, smoke, vehicle accidents, and water rescues.
• Profound ability to inspect accident sites and determine the cause of fire or other important information.
• Well-versed at rescuing trapped people and animals and providing first aid.
• Competent at cleaning accident sites by removing debris.
• Capable of conducting maintenance checks, stocking inventory for vehicles, stations, and gear.
• Talented at budget administration, resource management, and personnel allocation.
• Especially skilled in conducting fire investigations and writing incident reports.
• Skilled in operating and maintaining firefighting equipment.
• Working knowledge of first aid/CPR methods.
• Excellent physical fitness and stamina along with an ability to work under pressure.
• Confident and resilient individual with good communication and listening skills.
• Remarkable decision-making and problem-solving expertise.