Firefighters are emergency response professionals who protect others in dangerous situations and respond to fires, accidents, and other incidents where there are risks to life and property.
General duties of firefighters include responding to emergency calls regarding fire and vehicle accidents; preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires; performing search and rescue of victims during fire drills and simulations; and cleaning and maintaining firefighting equipment.
Skills required for a firefighter position include knowledge of first aid/CPR methods, working knowledge of firefighting equipment along with good physical fitness, confidence, resilience, and an ability to work well under pressure.
A candidate for the position of firefighter must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma listed on his or her curriculum vitae.
Sample Job Description for Firefighter
• Respond to emergency calls and request assistance.
• Attend incidents such as fires, road accidents, floods, etc.
• Protect others in dangerous situations, such as fires, vehicle accidents, and water rescues.
• Prevent, combat, and extinguish fires.
• Operate firefighting and rescuing equipment.
• Inspect site of fire or accidents in order to identify causes.
• Clean up the accidents sites by removing debris.
• Perform search and rescue of victims during fire drills and simulations.
• Rescue trapped people and animals.
• Provide first aid before the ambulance crew arrives.
• Prepare accurate reports after incidents and submit them to superiors.
• Conduct maintenance checks, stock inventory for vehicles, stations, and gear.
• Clean and maintain firefighting equipment.
• Undertaking physical and academic training, and participate in training on technology, use of the equipment, and related matters.