Dog walkers are responsible for taking care of dogs and meeting their physical activity needs in the absence of their owners.
General activities of dog walkers include taking dogs for a walk, providing them with companionship, playing with them, providing food and water, and disposing of waste products.
Skills that are generally required for this position include the ability to interact with dogs, self-confidence, strong observation, patience, decision-making, communication, and responsibility.
No formal education is required for this position. Most of the candidates hold a high school diploma.
Dog Walker Sample Skills
• Skilled at discussing the nature of each dog with its owner and noting down any special instructions provided by them.
• Proficient at walking the dogs, playing with them, and providing them companionship.
• Well-versed at providing food and water according to the given feeding directions.
• Competent at ensuring the physical safety of dogs and cleaning any waste on the trail.
• Capable of taking dogs to a veterinary doctor in case of emergency.
• Known for rewarding positive behavior and correcting bad behavior.
• Exceptional dog grooming knowledge and familiarity with basic training commands.
• Physical fitness, stamina, and good energy level.
• Compassionate, patient, punctual, and reliable.