Bus drivers are required to drive buses so as to move passengers from one place to a different. Their main responsibility is to follow an assigned route, pick up passengers along that route and take them to specified destinations along their route. They are also responsible for the safety and comfort of the passengers while they travel on bus. Therefore, a bus driver has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.
A bus driver should have good driving skills and a knowledge of defensive driving techniques. A good sense of direction is also very important for a bus driver. He should also have the knowledge of basic vehicle inspection and maintenance including tire pressure, checking oil and water levels. Furthermore, bus drivers should demonstrate good communication and people skills, the ability to make sound decisions, time management and first aid expertise.
Given below are some sample skills for the bus driver position that you can incorporate in your resume:
Bus Driver Skills for Resume
• Skilled in driving large vehicles such as buses, coaches, and trams.
• Able to work with people from a range backgrounds.
• Capable of keeping the bus clean and presentable to the public.
• Well-versed in following planned routes according to a time schedule.
• Competent in checking the bus tires, lights, and oil and perform other basic maintenance tasks.
• Proficient at accurately recording and reporting pickup and drop results according to the established procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to assist passengers with difficulties for get in and drop off.
• Proven capability of keeping track of when and at what stop passengers get on or off the bus.
• Experienced in developing and maintaining positive relationship with people through effective communication.
• Talented in performing inspection of the bus to check for vandalism and cleanliness.
• Exceptionally talented in handling resistant or hostile passengers in infraction of bus conduct and safety rules.
• Solid track record of handling passenger emergencies and disruptions effectively.
• Demonstrated excellent ability to exercise good judgement and to think on feet while handling loads of up to 60 passengers.
• Adept at collecting bus fares, sometimes making change for passengers.
• Ability to maintain a healthy temperament while handling disagreeable and impolite passengers.
• Sound knowledge of defensive driving techniques.
• Proficient at driving safely and speedily (when required) on all kinds of roads and in varied traffic conditions.
• Well-versed in maintaining log book and answering passengers’ queries.
• Talented in handling and addressing passengers’ complaints according to protocol
• Focused on obeying traffic laws and state and federal transit regulations.
• Qualified to operate and maintain bus in accordance with state and federal regulations.