Pet shop assistants work in shops caring for live animals and selling them as household pets. They are responsible for daily upkeep of the store. They sell animals, fish, birds, rabbits, reptiles and insects. They also sell pet supplies including food, accessories and bedding medicine, toys, carriers, and educational books and videos.
Pet shop assistants keep the store, aquariums, and animal cages clean and sanitized. They also look after the health of the pets for sale, change beddings, and restrain animals when required. Their duties also include feeding, cleaning and grooming animals, cleaning and tidying shop, stocking shelves, and maintaining records.
They also work with customers, answering questions, advising customers how to look after the animals they buy, and offering animal care advice.
Typically, a high school diploma is required to work in this capacity. However, previous experience counts for a lot.
If you want to work as a pet shop assistant, you may want to have a look at the following list of duties for this position:
Sample Job Description for Pet Shop Assistant
• Welcome customers as they arrive at the pet shop.
• Ask customers what they are looking for and direct customers through the pet shop.
• Provide customers with information such as available pets and their breeds and costs.
• Answer customers’ questions about products and prices of pet care products.
• Communicate with new and existing customers to meet their needs of specific products and services.
• Feed and provide water to pets.
• Clean cages, change sawdust and bedding, and disinfect toilet area.
• Scrape algae off the walls of fish tanks, remove dead fish or plants, change filter material and refill the tanks.
• Make sure the temperature and conditions are correct for the animals.
• Clean, bathe and groom animals.
• Check all animals regularly for signs of disease or illnesses.
• Administer medication in order to prevent injuries and diseases.
• Disinfect and bandage wounds according to vets’ orders.
• Advise customers how to look after the animals once they are taken home.
• Sell pet care products such as food, accessories, bedding and medicine.
• Deal with a range of customer enquiries about animal care and breeding.
• Serve customers and take payment for goods.
• Process cash and credit card payments and tender receipts and change.
• Order, receive and unpack stock and fill shelves.
• Keep the store clean and tidy.