Animal Husbandry Worker falls under the broader career group of farmworkers.
Animal husbandry workers are responsible for caring and breeding of different kinds of animals that produce animal products like meat, fur, skins, feathers, eggs, milk, and honey. They work with animals like cattle, goats, horses, sheep, finfish, shellfish, poultry, and bees.
Duties of an animal husbandry worker include watering, grazing, and feeding animals, cleaning up the pens and stalls, and assisting with animal births. They are also responsible for examining animals to detect diseases and injuries and administering medications, vaccinations, or insecticides as appropriate.
To work as an animal husbandry worker, an individual should have good communication skills, deductive reasoning to determine if an animal is ill or injured, accounting, organizational and marketing skills along with physical strength and the ability to work outdoors for long hours.
The minimum educational requirement to work as an animal husbandry worker is a high school diploma or its equivalent. Individuals interested in this job may choose to complete formal education in the form of an associate’s degree program or vocational training.
Animal Husbandry Resume Sample
1239 Main Blvd
Houston, Texas 12345
A compassionate, organized, and dependable animal husbandry worker with hands-on experience in breeding, marketing and caring for animals on the farm. Capable of observing animals for signs of illness, or injury. Physically dextrous and have the ability to work outdoors for long hours.
• Knowledge regarding animals
• Accounting, organizational and marketing skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to determine if an animal is ill or injured
• Management skills
• Fluent in English and Spanish
Animal Husbandry Worker
ABC Farm, Houston, Texas | 2017– Present
• Breed, market, and care for the animals on the farm.
• Provide food and water to animals according to schedules.
• Clean and disinfect animal stalls, pens, stables, cages.
• Monitor the animals to identify signs of illness or injuries.
• Follow the instructions of the vet to treat the animal illness.
• Assist in transporting livestock from one place to another.
• Ensure a neat and safe environment.
Animal Husbandry Worker
XYZ Farm, Houston, Texas | 2015 – 2017
• Planned and prepared work schedules.
• Fed animals, cleaned stalls and pens, assisted with births and maintained equipment.
• Observed animals to identify poor health, injuries, or disease.
• Worked closely with medical and behavior staff to coordinate the care of animals.
• Administered medications and vaccinations.
• Maintained accurate data and inventory of animals, food, and equipment.
City High School, Houston, Texas | 2011