Agricultural workers mostly work on farms or agricultural fields. These professionals are primarily responsible for maintaining the overall quality of the farm. Their duties include planting, maintaining, and harvesting crops, operating farm vehicles and machinery, and looking after livestock.
Agricultural workers mostly have to work outdoors in all kinds of weather. Their work also requires frequent bending, crouching, lifting, and carrying heavy loads. Therefore, they should be physically strong and dexterous, and capable of working in all weather conditions. Furthermore, they should be proficient in operating and servicing farm vehicles, tools, and machinery.
Mostly, no formal education is required to work as an agricultural worker. However, a high school diploma is required if you want to work as an animal breeder.
Agricultural Worker Job Description Sample
• Plant and seed crops properly
• Irrigate soil, dig ditches and trenches, and keep pipes, pumps, and irrigation ditches clean and maintained
• Spray pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers on crops
• Perform pruning and weeding activities
• Operate machinery and vehicles such as tractors, harvesters, crop cutting machines, and irrigation equipment
• Clean, maintain, and repair farm machinery
• Harvest crops such as fruits, vegetables, grains and by hand or using farm equipment
• Pack crops properly after harvesting and loads them in trucks for shipment
• Feed, groom and bathe livestock, clean their cages, and disinfect their pens
• Examine livestock to detect diseases and injuries
• Administer medication and vaccinations and nurse the unwell animals
• Herd livestock to pastures for grazing, and monitor them to ensure their safety and wellbeing