Accounting controllers responsible for cash management and risk management within a business. These professionals are also required to deal with the management of accounting policies and procedures, accounting transactions, reporting and compliance.
An ideal resume for the position of an accounting controller should demonstrate skills including strong knowledge of US GAAP, great attention to detail, proficiency with computer platforms and applications, polished and professional demeanor, ability to multitask and strong interpersonal and communication skills.
In order to qualify for the accounting controller position, one must possess at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting. However most employers prefer to hire those candidates who are certified public accountants. As there are a lot of responsibilities on an accounting controller, he/she needs to be alert at all times and should be able to handle multiple tasks at the same time. Moreover, as this position involves working with numbers and handling calculations that can be very disturbing. For this reason, it is important for an individual working in this capacity to have a clear mind.
As an accounting controller is responsible for enhancing the accuracy of a company’s financials, so detail-orientation, accuracy and substantial know-how of generally accepted accounting principles and international financial reporting standards.
Given below is a list of duties that an accounting controller is required to perform:
Sample Job Description for Accounting Controller
• Develop, improve and issue timely monthly financial statements, financial plans, budgets, and financial forecasts
• Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines
• Handle tasks of supervising the preparation, maintenance and presentation of internal and external financial data.
• Handle activities of account payable and account receivables, collections, tax reporting, and merchandise accounting.
• Supervise and monitor day-to-day business transaction entries.
• Handle the tasks of preparing and analyzing budgets and financial reports
• Perform audits on quarterly, half-yearly, and annual basis or as and when demanded by the management.
• Process payroll in a timely manner and verify over time filled by employees.
•Handle daily accounting activities such as journal entries, reconciliations, collections, credit payments, and tax reporting.
• Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements.
• Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting.
• Work closely with Executive Director in the development and economic evaluation of various fringe benefit programs for staff and program components.
• Supervise the operations of the accounting department in order to make sure that the set organizational structure is capable of achieving the company’s goals.
• Ensure compliance with debt covenants and monitor debt levels.
• Perform hiring, training and monitoring of accounting staff.
• Implement, develop and control cash management operations.