Cashiers work at retail establishments and their main responsibility is to scan items, collect payments, operate cash registers, and issue receipts. Their responsibilities further include assisting customers by explaining items or answering questions, processing exchanges or refunds, and counting the contents of the cash register drawers at the end of the shift.
An ideal candidate for a cashier position should have skills like excellent communication and interpersonal skills, customer service orientation, strong time-management skills, good math skills, and basic computer knowledge and ability to work with electronic equipment, like a cash register and POS, organization. Furthermore, he should be able to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment.
Generally, to work in the capacity of the cashier, a high school diploma or its equivalent is required. Some experience in the field or a related area is a plus and will help you in securing the job.
Sample Skills for Cashier Job
- Skilled at greeting guests professionally as they arrive at the establishment.
- Able to handle cash and credit transactions with the customers.
- Well-versed at scanning items and receiving payments.
- Proficient at handling item returns and exchanges.
- Profound ability to wrap the purchases properly to make sure that they are transported safely.
- Effectively able to answer customer queries and handle their complaints.
- Talented at operating electronic devices including scanners and scales.
- Specialized in balancing register and generating sales reports.
- Expert in counting money at the beginning and end of the shift.
- Competent in sorting and counting currency and coins.
- Capable of maintaining a neat and tidy look of the counter and checkout areas.
- Knowledgeable about store policies and procedures.