The role of the peroperative nurse or operating room (OR) nurse is to provide care for patients before, during and after surgery. They are responsible for making sure that the surgical equipment is sterilized before and after surgery. They also assist the surgeons during surgery and coordinate with surgical technicians.
In order to work as an operating room nurse one must be compassionate and have strong verbal power and multi-tasking ability.
An operating room nurse is required to work in; preoperative, intra-operative and postoperative phases of patients’ surgical experiences. They provide care in an operating room environment by making use of many scientific and behavioral practices to meet the general requirements of patients under their care.
Before writing a resume for this position, candidates must go through the job description thoroughly and carefully. Below is a description of operating room nurse, which will provide you with better understanding regarding this position.
Job Description for Operating Room Nurse Resume
• Develop an intra-operative nursing care plan based on preoperative assessments.
• Prepare operating units by ensuring instruments and supplies are clean and available.
• Take all the vital stats of the patient like temperature, blood pressure, sugar level, etc., as they can cause major problems for the patient during surgery.
• Make sure that shift news board is properly updated with latest record of patient vitals taken during regular rounds in the surgical ward.
• Monitor the patients after surgery and communicate any important observation effectively to the relevant doctor.
• Engage in conversation with patients to determine their fears and attempt to put them at ease
• Sterilize all the surgical equipment before and after the surgery.
• Pass medical instruments or other objects to the surgeon during operation
• Assist in applying closing surgical wounds and applying dressings
• Take the written and verbal consent of patient and guardian before the surgery
• Prepare the patients before the surgery and wheel them in to the operation theatre
Skills and Capabilities
• Familiar with modern data operating system.
• Substantial knowledge if aseptic and sterile techniques.
• In-depth knowledge of surgical operation procedures.
• Excellent analyzing and evaluating skills.
• Scrubbing in surgeries when needed
• Capable of performing well under high stress work conditions.
• Fluent in English and Spanish.
RN certification applicable in the state of Employment