Medical Office Managers are responsible for the non-clinical aspects of a health care facility. As the director of operations in a medical practice or healthcare facility, these professionals perform duties such as recruiting new staff, handling payrolls, budgeting and supervising all business practices from records administration to billing procedures to treatment scheduling. A medical office manager should have good communication and organizational skills coupled with comprehensive understanding of the health care system. In order to qualify for this position, one must possess a degree in health care management or a similar field.
Medical office manager duties will vary according to the size and type of medical practice but there are certain primary tasks and responsibilities that are common to all medical office manager jobs:
Medical Office Manager Job Description Sample
• Schedule personnel shifts and patient appointments.
• Ensure patient records are current and accurate
• Supervise office staff, including receptionists, secretaries and cashiers.
• Maintain medical records and perform filing duties
• Order medical and office supplies.
• Process company’s response to claims.
• Hire and train staff in a medical office.
• Oversee finances including cash flow, payroll, charge entry, co-payments, and accounts payable.
• Develop billing guidelines and processes.
• Provide informative material for patients regarding medical procedures and policies.
• Supervise daily staff activities in order to establish an effective and smooth work environment.
• Verify timesheets for medical staff.
• Reconcile account information.
• Controlled financial aspects, including preparing daily bank deposits and reports.
• Responsible for reconciling and recording payments made by self-pay patients.
• Develop and implement office policies and procedures.
• Ensure facility cleaning, hygiene, safety and maintenance.
• Maintain work area in terms of cleanliness.
• Trained and hired administrative personnel and maintained employee files.
• Manage performance reviews on a predetermined basis.
• Manage the purchasing and accounting of office inventory.
• Respond to customers’ queries and handle conflicts in a diplomatic manner.
• Prepare and distribute employee payrolls and handle office correspondence, financial reports and budgets.
• Ensure compliance with current healthcare regulations, medical laws and high ethical standards.
• Handle medical data entry and processing requests.
• Provide patients with information regarding nutrition, exercise and general wellness topics.