A department store is a retail establishment offering a wide range of consumer goods in different product categories known as ‘departments’. These departments often include clothing, furniture, home appliances, toys, cosmetics, housewares, paints etc. A department store sales associate may be required to work in one department or rotate between all these, therefore, he/she needs to know ins and outs of all departments.
To become a department store sales associate, one must possess excellent communication and presentation skills along with self-motivation, team work and result orientation. He should be able to deal with angry customers in an efficient manner and should be capable of managing multiple customers at the same time. No formal education is compulsory for this role. A high school diploma is usually enough but having a business degree can increase your chances of landing an interview.
Below is a list of duties that a department store sales associate is expected to carry out.
Department Store Sales Associate Job Description
• Greet customers with a smile as they enter into premises and ask them how they can be assisted.
• Make suitable suggestions after knowing their buying needs.
• Accompany or direct customers to the correct aisles and make sure that there is someone to assist them with their shopping.
• Provide information regarding products and any discount offers associated with them.
• Assist the customers who are not able to find the product of their choice.
• Assist customers in making purchasing decisions by explaining product features and warranty agreements
• Help customers in looking for fresh grocery or produce items and properly weigh and pack their purchases.
• Keep shelves neat and well organized and place orders for out of stock items.
• Help customers locate merchandise and provide them with relevant information including expiry dates and low priced alternatives.
• Respond to customers’ requests and concerns in a resourceful manner.
• Ensure that all purchased items are delivered to the customers in a prompt manner.
• Meet preset sales goals by employing selling techniques.