Bakery/Deli Clerks work in retail settings where they are required to prepare, pack, and serve deli goods to customers. They are also responsible for weighing and portioning food items while maintaining high standards of hygiene. This position requires excellent communication and customer service skills, numeracy skills, ability to stand for hours and to lift heavy goods. Generally, a high school diploma is required for the position of a bakery deli clerk.
They are also responsible for making sure that their customers are well informed regarding all new products, services and special deals. They offer samples and handle customer queries in a polite and professional manner. Their main job is to keep the customer happy. Therefore, a friendly and outgoing personality is a must for this position
Sample Job Description for Bakery Deli Clerk
• Welcome the customer in a friendly manner as they enter the establishment.
• Inform the customers with regarding daily specials.
• Provide excellent customer service to bakery patrons.
• Make sure that the recipe is prepared according to the planned recipes
• Pack the bakery items properly and ensure appropriate rotating.
• Assist staff with preparation and decoration of deli products.
• Transport products to preparation or storage areas as and when required.
• Make sure that the finalized bakery products are delivered to outlets on time.
• Deliver bread and other baked or deli products when requested
• Label products with appropriate dates and prices.
• Make sure that the kitchen equipment such as ovens and refrigerators are in proper working condition.
• Operate equipment and tools as trained.
• Assist customers in selecting products.
• Keep the work area clean, neat and well organized.
• Pack the products as per the customer’s requirements.
• Operate cash register.
• Take customers’ orders and make sure that they are completed on time in an efficient manner.
• Tagged all products legibly in keeping with price book.
• Stock and organize supplies and control inventory on a regular basis.
• Handle the closing and opening procedures for the bakery.
• Receive products and check the goods received from suppliers to make sure that the right order is received.
• Remove outdated and damaged products from shelves and storage areas.
• Keep the store shelves loaded with product all the times.
• Promote latest items and weekly specials.