The main duty of a deli associate is preparing customer orders and packaging foods. Deli associates work in small shops and eateries selling food items where they provide prompt customer service. They welcome the customers when they arrive at the deli counter. They take and complete orders in time-efficient manner making sure that food is prepared in accordance to the customer’s preferences.
Since this an exceptionally customer oriented job, excellent customer service skills along with a friendly, outgoing personality is very important. Deli associates also have to be quick in moving from the serving counter to the customers’ table in an efficient manner to keep customers happy. Also, a deli associate is responsible for keeping the work area net and presentable and ensuring the availability of deli supplies and equipment. In addition to that, they prepare bills for food using cash registers or calculators and accept payment or make changes.
Duties of a deli associate vary depending on the size of the deli, as well as on the products and services offered, their typical duties include the following:
Deli Associate Job Description and Duties
• Greet customers when they arrive at the deli counter and ask them for their particular preferences or orders.
• Take orders and repeat them to make sure that they are accurate.
• Take payment in form of cash or credit for the sold deli products.
• Make sandwiches and salads from deli items in accordance to the customers’ instructions.
• Perform ordering, purchasing and stocking of deli products.
• Keep the equipment clean and sanitized.
• Manage product maintenance and rotation to avoid damage or spoilage.
• Remove expired and damaged products from storage areas and shelves according to the company’s policy.
• Keep the entire work area neat and clean at all times.
• Ensure sufficient supply of deli items is displayed in cases.
• Pack ready to sell deli products and label them with type and pricing information.
• Label products with appropriate dates and prices.
• Slice, cut, weigh and price deli items carefully.
• Provide customers with information about the contents and cuts of various deli items.
• Refill condiments and make sure that all condiments are present at each table.
• Cut meat and vegetables for salads and sandwiches.
• Prepare deli products such as soups and sandwiches according to provided instructions.
• Order deli items low in stock and store them properly.
• Prepare food using various equipment such as fryers and ovens.