A building porter generally works in commercial or residential buildings where they are responsible for carrying out janitorial/custodial duties. A building porter is an important part of a maintenance team as they are responsible for making sure that the building is cleaned and maintained properly, and that it remains presentable at all times while ensuring the safety and security of its residents.
For a building porter, high stamina and being physically dexterous is very important as there is a lot of physical work involved such as bending and stooping. Some knowledge of cleaning agents and procedures is also important for working in this capacity. Building porters do not require any formal education to qualify to work in a company. A high school diploma or a GED is sufficient to be considered eligible.
Below is a sample resume for a building porter designed for your guidance:
Resume Sample for Building Porter
762 Lake Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 48232
(111) 222-3333, email@example.com
A dedicated, committed and hard-working individual having 5+years’ hands-on experience working as a building porter in commercial and residential buildings. Highly skilled in cleaning and maintaining buildings and grounds. Possess substantial knowledge of various cleaning tools and equipment and capable of using them properly. Known for positive attitude and personable demeanor.
HIGHLIGHTS OF SKILLS
• Capable of safely handling and using various chemical products for cleaning purposes.
• Capable of using various cleaning tools such as mowers, hammers, and drills properly and safely.
• Familiarity with operation of ground keeping equipment.
• Profound knowledge of performing fire safety checks according to OSHA and ADA guidelines.
• Ability to lift and move heavy objects and work in flexible timings.
▬ Patrol service ▬ Security management ▬ Communication
▬ Security alarms ▬ Safe access/egress ▬ Inventory control
• Devised a foolproof way of disposing of hazardous trash, helping the company be categorized as a green company.
• Trained 17 other janitors in handling safe cleaning, maintenance, and disinfection work, as part of their induction program.
• Wrote a short booklet on the safe handling and use of cleaning and disinfection materials and agents, used as part of the new employee training program.
• Received “Employee of the month” award for employing consistent cleaning methods throughout the year.
Building Porter| ABC Residential, Atlanta, Georgia, September 2014 to Present
• General cleaning of the building and keeping it maintained and in good condition.
• Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets.
• Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks, and showers and restock disposables (e.g. soap).
• Wipe mirrors and windows.
• Remove snow from driveways and walkways.
• Remove debris from sidewalk and parking areas.
• Water plants and maintain lawns.
• Collect and dispose of trash.
• Perform repairs on all things throughout the building from malfunctioning elevators to leaky faucets.
• Ensure doors are locked after hours.
Maintenance Apprentice| XYZ Office Complex, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2011 to August 2014
• Kept all bathrooms and offices stocked with necessary items
• Maintained the facility clean and neat.
• Reported any safety hazards to the facility manager.
• Performed maintenance and cleaning duties as instructed by the facility manager.
• Emptied the trash bins and disposed of the garbage properly.
• Vacuumed carpets and mopped floors.
• Cleaned and stocked restrooms on regular basis.
Diploma: City High School, Atlanta, Georgia, 2010