Job seekers put a lot of effort into writing their resumes but they don’t take cover letters seriously. The question is do you really need a cover letter to apply for a job? Answer in most cases is yes. Your cover letter presents your intentions, qualifications, and availability to a prospective employer. It is a chance to introduce yourself to the prospective employer and make a good first impression. Your cover letter may make the difference between obtaining a job interview or having your resume ignored, therefore, you should put enough time and effort into writing an effective cover letter.
Here are some cover letter writing tips to help you score an interview:
• Address a specific individual. Do some extra effort to find out the name of the person who will be receiving your letter and address him directly.
• Highlight the most relevant details about your skills, experience, or credentials — things you don’t want the employer to miss from your resume or that aren’t easy to include in a resume.
• Whenever possible, add data or numbers to illustrate the effects of your hard work.
• Demonstrate your individual personality in order to differentiate yourself from other candidates.
Cover Letter Sample for Senior Clerk
548 Seventh Street • Tallahassee, Florida 32304 • (999) 999 – 9999 • email@example.com
October 12, 2017
Mr. Jim Steve
647 Case Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32304
Dear Mr. Steve:
Upon learning of your posting for the job of a senior clerk, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your review. Being a skilled administrative professional with extensive experience in coordinating high-level office operations and performing detailed administrative support functions, I am confident in my ability to become a valuable addition to your team.
Some professional accomplishments include:
• Reduced file retrieval time up till 60%. by Implementing an ingenious file tracking system
• Revised the data entry forms to ensure more comprehensive data collection ensuring 100% fact collection after initial form filling by the client.
• First one who implemented computerized interfaces for data collection which enabled data collection at a much faster rate.
I am detail-oriented and analytical with an acute attention to detail and unwavering ability to handle challenging deadlines and tasks. My background in managing office administrative tasks along with my expertise in staff supervision, clerk coaching and front desk handling, data entry, file cataloging, and data retrieval has prepared me to greatly and positively impact your company in this position.
I would like to see you in an interview where my candidacy in relevance to the position can be discussed in detail. I shall be calling your office for follow-up after 5 days. In the meanwhile, if you need to contact me, you can call me on the above number.
Thank you for your time and consideration.