CAD design engineers use computer-aided design software to create designs and schematics used to construct buildings.
The design engineer usually works with a team of engineers and other designers to develop conceptual and detailed designs that ensure a product actually functions, performs and is fit for its purpose. They may work with industrial designers and marketers to develop the product concept and specifications to meet customer needs and may direct the design effort.
The responsibility of many design engineers is prototyping. A model of the product is created and reviewed. Once the prototype is finalized after many iterations, the design engineer reviews an initial run of components and assemblies for design compliance and fabrication/manufacturing methods analysis. They may follow the product and make requested changes and corrections throughout the life of the product. These professionals work closely with the manufacturing engineer throughout the product lifecycle.
Many employers require CAD drafters to have completed at least an associate’s degree program. Professional certification can increase advancement opportunities.
Given below is a sample job description for CAD Design Engineer;
Sample Job Description for CAD Design Engineer
• Design frameworks for a project
• Develop working drawings from sketches or descriptions developed by Engineers
• Work closely with other Designer and Engineers to ensure a coordinated design
• Analyse and select a material of designed components
• Assist in team design reviews in order to evaluate design concepts and make recommendations
• Establish and implement a CAD standard drawing database
• Create prototypes for CAD models
• Analyze, design and build business/technical solutions that deliver the client’s goal
• Use software to create detailed 2D or 3D designs for complex projects
• Use industry standards for drawings and drawing control systems
• Support flight test operations, and develop bench and flight test procedures
• Organize every file, electronic and paper and implement engineering standards and goals
• Design floor plans, elevations, and realistic renderings with the help of software.
• Produce designs and have them vetted by clients
• Effectively coordinate with vendors to assure quality products and reasonable costs