Meat cutters, also known as butchers, use knives and other carving tools to cut, trim and prepare meat for sale to customers. Meat Cutters make sure that fresh meat products are available to customers. Their general duties include cutting meat, de-boning, weighing and labeling meat, reducing wastes, serving customers and handling special requests, and maintaining supplies.
Working as a meat cutter does not require any formal education but still it a demanding job and not everyone can work as a meat cutter as it requires certain skills and understanding of various cutting tools and machines along with knowledge of safe ways of using and maintaining them.
The Job of a meat cutter is not all about meat cutting but one also has to take care of other tasks associated with this job. Those who want to work as a meat cutter should possess knife skills, dexterity, communication and customer service skills and most importantly stamina since meat cutters are on their feet for long periods of time. They should also be knowledgeable about food safety standards and workplace sanitation.
Below is a list of some duties of a meat cutter:
Meat Cutter Resume Sample Duties and Responsibilities
• Keep inventory of meat sales and order meat supplies.
• Provide instructions to meat suppliers about the quality, quantity and type of meat required.
• Balance registers and prepare daily sales summaries, prepare and deliver bank deposits.
• Make sure that right quality and quantity of meat is received.
• Move the received meat to the storage areas and made sure that the meat is packed and stored properly.
• Properly wash meat and prepare it for cutting and processing.
• Cut meat in accordance to the customers’ requirements or as instructed by the manager.
• Shape meat cuts by using boning knife and wrap, label and weigh them properly.
• Provide customers with information on different types of available meat cuts and what they can be used to cook.
• Place the meat cuts and products on the display counter and make sure that they are rotated constantly.
• Supervised meat rotation in storage areas and train and guide the store staff about safe ways of trashing spoilt or expired meat.