Buffet cooks are responsible for preparing food at a restaurant or any other culinary setting that offers fine dining service to their customers. Duties of buffet cook are same as any other cook. The only difference is that a buffet cook has to cook food in much large quantity in order to serve a large number of customers.
An ideal resume for the position of buffet cook should demonstrate excellent culinary skills along with dexterity, time management and ability to work under pressure. As these professionals are required to assist in developing menus and creating new recipes to attract customers therefore they must be well knowledgeable about various types of cuisine, particularly the ones for which the culinary setting is famous for.
Buffet cooks are also responsible for keeping the work area clean and sanitized. They are required to make sure that food is used and stored in a proper manner. These professionals must be well knowledgeable about official food hygiene standards and should be familiar with the use of modern kitchen utensils and equipment.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities for Buffet Cook
• Discuss with restaurant managers and prepare food as directed.
• Give suggestion about various meals and top popular cuisines.
• Create new recipes and develop menus.
• Develop a week’s or month’s menu and also add special recipes to make the menu unique.
• Add weekly or Sunday specials on the menu to attract more number of patrons.
• Prepare food by following predefined recipes and develop new recipes now and then.
• Direct the kitchen staff directly to prepare meats, vegetables, and fruits for cooking menus.
• Oversee set up of buffet table and make sure that each dish is properly filled and refilled.
• Ensure that the extra foods are always available especially in busy hours.
• Coordinate the rotation of food in storage areas and ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen area.
• Make the different types of cuisines in large quantities to make sure that the food tables are always prepared.
• Order and maintain inventory of food and supplies.